Some of you know, I am a bookseller as well as a bookblogger. I work part-time for Borders Books & Music in Glendale, CA. I love books, and YA in particular. I have met some of my favorite authors, but except for one, none of them have ever come to my store. In part, it's because the last few years have been tumultuous ones in our business (though it's been so much better lately), and in part it's because our town is more of a suburb of Los Angeles, not really a teeming center of entertainment.
Last week I found out that I have this chance to maybe, perhaps, ever-so-tentatively host one of my favorite YA authors at my store. Yes, the person's initials include the letters S and M. No, this person has not written a vampire book. I'm afraid to even say their name, in case the gods & goddesses of Special Events and Publicity choose to spit on my dreams and deny us this chance. (This is why, in the course of my posts about this subject, I will not name names, but just clue you in, if you're clever enough to read between the lines. Do me a favor, and play along!)
If I can show them that I can pack the house for this author, that their trip all the way across the country
will not be wasted on a turnout that we'll have to characterize with euphemisms like "intimate" and "cozy" (i.e., we threw a party and no one came) I might stand a fighting chance of making this happen.
The very thought of being able to host this event and meet this author gives me the shivers.
Can you help me?
All you have to do is
- If you are in the Southern California area, and/or plan to be here in late July/early August, RSVP for the Super-Special Secret Maybe Event on our Facebook page at http://bit.ly/bordersgdca. Please Fan us also, so we can keep you up to date on this and all the rest of our YA events.
- Tell your friends to do the same.
- Tell the Internets. You can blog it, tweet it, post it, share it: http://bit.ly/bordersgdYA is the direct link to the event on Facebook. You can also follow me or the store. You can also link to this post at http://bit.ly/rnslsecretevent
- If you're not on Facebook and don't plan to be, email me directly at frootjoos at gmail dot com so I can put you on the RSVP list (full name, email address, zip code -- phone # is optional!)
- Or any combination of the above.
Even as I'm writing this, I have a lingering feeling of doubt that somehow I have not made the proper offerings in veneration to the gods and goddesses of Special Events & Publicity, and that I will be denied this dream of meeting my awesome author.
Of all the missed chances in my life, that would be one of the ones that I would regret forever.