Ack! I am so behind. As you can see, I am still working my way through all of our event recaps. The next on the list was a signing on Oct 20, 2012 at B&N The Grove with David Levithan, Rachel Cohn, Melissa de la Cruz and Lissa Price. This was an all-star lineup so Kimberly and I decided to make the trip over the hill to The Grove. (For those who don't know, going over the hill is often a time consuming and sanity threatening endeavor). But it was a weekend so we at least had time to leave pretty early for the event. We arrived about an hour ahead of time which gave us plenty of time to do our shopping before the signing.
I was surprised that there wasn't a huge crowd when we got there. It did end up filling up by the time the signing started but we were able to get good seats. The authors each read from their newest books before opening it up to questions.
|l to r: levithan, de la cruz, price, cohn|
|melissa is hilarious|
|david reading from every day|
Some fun things I learned during the event:
- Rachel often hides behind humor in her books. In Beta, it was a challenge not falling back on the humor, though there are still some funny moments.
- When Melissa gets stuck, she writes in a "hot hookup." That's why there is so much making out in the Blue Bloods series. :)
- When Rachel and David write together, they write completely separately. They alternate writing chapters, and start with just a a premise, character names, and a general idea of what's supposed to happen. There is no real planning involved.
- Lissa likes to write to basketball games.
- Melissa said that she and her husband had to go to therapy after writing their first book together. They wrote it in the same room and wrote it at the same time. They have now adopted a similar method to Rachel and David, where they just send each other finished chapters and don't talk about them at home.
|i feel like there is a story here...|
Tell me, have you read any books by these authors? Which is your favorite? Thanks for stopping by!