It's me again and I'm back with another event recap. This one was the Heather Brewer signing at B&N Americana on Oct 23, 2012. As some of you might know, I am a huge fan of Auntie Heather's. Not only does she write fantastic books, but she's really inspiring and always brings a message of love and tolerance in her quest to stamp out bullying. I also love that her fans are the Minion Horde. How awesome and fun is that?
I like bullet points right now so here are some fun facts I learned about Heather during the event:
- She was bullied as a child but the library was her safe place, her bully kryptonite.
- When she was 13 (I think it was 13) she read Carrie by Stephen King and decided that she wanted to be a writer.
- When she started the Vlad Tod series she wanted to write about what she knew. What she knew was what is was like being an unpopular teenager. She had also been a fan of vampires for a very long time and knew them very well. Hence, Vlad was born.
- She calls her first draft her "crap draft."
- When asked good books she's read lately, Heather mentioned Ask The Passengers by A.S. King, which she was re-reading. (My friends and I promptly turned the store upside down after the signing trying to track down copies of the book. We finally found the last 3 copies and bought them all)
I then made Heather sign my entire Vlad series along with a whole slew of other books. She was very funny and gracious. I always love seeing her and I am so glad the tour stopped near us. If you ever get a chance to see Heather in person, do it. You'll come away feeling happier for it.
Thanks for Alethea and Kimberly for being fun book buddies, as usual. If you'd liked to see a few more pictures, go to our FB album here.
Have you ever met Heather or read any of her books? Who's your favorite character?